Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When Awareness Fades, So Does Our Health





During a recent trip to New York , I spent a night at a childhood friend's house. At about 6:45 the next morning, I heard the sound of an alarm clock which was coming from my friend's room. The noise was loud enough so that it could be easily heard throughout the house. The alarm continued to sound for approximately 90 minutes before it was finally shut off. I had experienced this on another occasion while staying with this friend, so I wasn't concerned about the fact that no one was paying any attention to the loud pulsing siren.

As you can imagine, the repetitive, “beep, beep, beep, beep…” was fairly annoying. Although it seemed that my friend and his wife had no problem continuing their slumber, I was to lay awake, unable to escape the unrelenting irritation. Or, so I thought.

But then, something began to happen. It was a very gradual occurrence. I didn't even realize it was happening. Within about twenty or thirty minutes the noise began to fade. But it wasn't the noise that was fading. The volume of the alarm remained constant for the full hour and a half. After a while, however, I began to unconsciously tune it out. It was almost as if it wasn't even there anymore. However, if I refocused my attention on the alarm, I realized the signal was as loud as it ever was.

Everyone will, from time to time, experience symptoms in their body. The symptoms are meant to alert us to the need for change. It might be that we are overwhelmed with stress or that we need to modify our behavior in some way. Either way, the symptom is prompting us to become aware and take the necessary action.

At this point, we have a choice to make. We can listen to our body and make the necessary changes, we can ignore the symptom or we can even attempt to cover the symptom, which is the philosophy of a medical based approach.

When we ignore and attempt to cover our symptoms we become less and less in tune or connected to our body. We are less able to respond to the subtle cues that our body is trying to give us. If attention is not given, the next round of symptoms can be even more severe.

Many times we feel successful if we can just get some relief, even if our pain or symptom isn't completely gone. We begin to accept this as our new standard. Each time our health diminishes a little more.

The previous evening, I asked my friend how his joints were feeling. He has suffered from Gouty arthritis for the past several years. As I watched him struggle to climb the stairs, he said, “I'm doing really great, almost completely better.” The following day we had a conversation about his overall health. At the age of 37, my friend, who is a smoker, is on medication for his arthritis, his previous heart attack and to help him sleep because he is too stressed. Despite his need for all of these prescriptions, his doctor told him he was very healthy. I'd hate to see what it would take to be unhealthy in this doctor's eyes.

I couldn't help but think about what a fitting analogy the ignored alarm was for my friend. Unfortunately, I think his story is one that is lived by many.

Network Spinal Analysis and Somato-Respiratory Integration help our clients develop strategies to navigate their bodies symptoms and use them as beacons of change. Only through awareness and adaptation can we reach our full potential.

No comments: